Dr. George H. Deer becomes principal.
PTA becomes very active.
Tuition is $25 per semester and includes lunch at the LSU Cafeteria.
An annual survey on the American Council of Education reports that the development of children by means of observation, demonstration, and participation is regarded as the cornerstone of teacher education. The report recognizes the campus school as fundamentally important.
Hi-Y and Drama clubs are added to student activities
Business classes, including business math, shorthand, typewriting, clerical practice and general business are added with Mrs. Rex Beard serving as instructor.
J. Quitman Long becomes supervisor of boys’ physical education and begins to reestablish a football team that had been disbanded two years prior.
First football uniforms are donated by LSU Athletic Department. Uniforms had only been worn once previously in a bowl game in which LSU lost. Boys supply most of their own equipment. Little to no facilities for athletics exists.
First Sadie Hawkins day is held as a carnival-type event with the Sadie-Hawkins race as the featured event. “Open season” is declared on the boys in a barefoot race where capture means a trip to “Marryin’ Sam.”
U-Club (1954 U-Club is pictured left), an honorary club for boys who had earned at least one athletic letter is founded with 11 charter members
Grade 12 is added. Overcrowding becomes an issue.
Alva E. Swanson becomes principal and serves in that capacity for nine years
First priority is facility expansion. School currently only has 14-15 classrooms in the College of Education, no cafeteria, no playground and no band room or athletic facilities.
Proposals and plans for a new Laboratory School have been in the works for over 10 years at this point.
On August 2, 1947, the LSU Board of Supervisors agrees to accept the plans and specifications for a Laboratory School building, but tables the plans and specifications for an auditorium, gym-cafeteria-music building and an industrial arts facility.
Dean E.B. Roberts begins using his demand as a speaker and guest lecturer to lobby for the school.
The Laboratory School PTA, under the presidency of Mrs. Joe Lipsey, becomes involved, writing directly to the University President and Board of Supervisors urging completion of the building program.
GAL, the U-High Girls’ Athletic League pictured below, begins in 1947 and encourages high school girls to participate in athletic activities outside of regular physical education classes. All University High girls are members of GAL and are divided into two teams – black and gold. Throughout the year, these teams oppose each other in various sports in an effort to develop athletic skills and better health and gain valuable experience in competition. GAL continues at U-High until the mid1970s.
Key Club International, a club for boys intended to provide service to home, school and community, is formed.
Although the school is not expected to produce any graduates this year due to the addition of grade 12, eight students do graduate by scheduling extra courses and attending summer school.